Friday, February 24, 2017

Fitness Friday

I have a problem with blogging consistently.  For example, I published a grand total of four blog posts in 2016.  Four posts!  I guess this is an extreme example of blog slacking, but the point is, I need due dates and prearranged plans to help me blog consistently.  So, today I am rolling out my first regularly scheduled blog post. Introducing…




Here’s how this is going to go down:
   1. EVERY Friday, I am going to publish a fitness related post.
   2. For the first few weeks, I am going to follow the same template (see below).
   3. Eventually, I will conduct fitness challenges and demand that you get involved.
   4. I’ll be nice, I promise.

Why should you care?  I don’t necessarily stick to a conventional fitness routine, but for my entire life I have enjoyed being physically active and I have managed to be consistently fit.  I am in shape because I am not afraid to look silly or try new things.  I think I can motivate the loafers, encourage the folks that have fallen off of the fitness bandwagon, and entertain the health professionals.

Let’s get to it…

What’s new: On February 1st, I started a 40-day running challenge.  The goal is to hit 150 miles by day 40.  This is a challenge that my husband is doing at his high school (to clarify, he is a teacher and a coach, not a high school student). Today marks day #24 and I have done 92.25 miles, so I am right on track. If I make it the whole way, I get a t-shirt!

Changes to my routine:  I am taking a break from strength training and yoga until I complete the running challenge.

Running: Total mileage this week: 30 miles
Longest Run: 6.5 miles
Shortest Run: 3.75 miles
Craziest Run: 5 miles outdoors in sunny 64-degree weather…in FEBRUARY! It doesn’t get much crazier than this in Michigan.

Strangest Physical Activity Performed: I danced with a goat*

Most challenging physical activity performed with a 2-year-old: My daughter likes to keep me active!  This week, she challenged me with a slinky.  She likes throwing her slinky down the basement stairs, and she LOVES watching me retrieve it no less than 32 times in a row.   

Weirdest Food: Usually, this category will be reserved for unique healthy foods that have helped me keep my taste buds fit.  Typically, I will include foods that are a bit wild, maybe even trendy, that I have dared to sample so that I can share my outrageous eating experiences with you.  This week?  One big unhealthy word: CAKE.

When every person in your household celebrates their birthday in the same week, you are bound to eat copious amounts of cake.

It started with a birthday party sheet cake…



Then, because my daughter misinterpreted sheet cake as SHEEP cake, this happened…


And, even though a sheep cake is pretty unique, the winner of the weirdest food of the week goes to…


 The Neapolitan Cake!!!

That’s right! A 3-layer swirl of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry courtesy of my sister, the cake baker extraordinaire.  It was beautiful, insanely delicious, and weighed about 50 pounds.



Amazing!


Fitness highlight of the week:  I made it to day 24 of my running challenge without collapsing.

Goals for next week: Continue running, attempt mall walking, and eat less cake.

It has been a busy, fun and adventurous week!

Questions: What was your fitness highlight this week? Weirdest food: How did you keep your taste buds fit?

Enjoy Life!

Miss Nutralicious

*In case you need more details, I went to a goat show at a petting farm and my daughter volunteered me to dance with the star of the show.  It was a brief but vigorous workout.


FYI, This is the goat show host, not me. The star of the show is on the right.

2 comments:

  1. I would always volunteer people I know to dance with goats at petting zoos. Your daughter is one smart young woman.

    Also, I somehow forgot you're in Michigan. Yes, that's surprisingly awesome weather for February. Michigan's weather is the reason I won't visit except during summer months. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until the goat show, I had no idea that goats could dance! I learned MANY goat facts that day and I think it's only a matter of time before I have the opportunity to showoff my new knowledge. Meanwhile, I'll just pretend like I know nothing about the animal until the perfect moment arises. ;)

      Delete